Monday 16 May 2011

Meet the new guys: Lithops lesliei


I'm still grinning like a fool over my new 'thops and THV, patient soul that he is, can still only listen to so much plant chatter. So I turn to my blog and it's massive readership of 3-4 people :) 

This is one of my new Lithops from Conos Paradise, Lithops lesliei ssp. lesliei v. venteri, Cole number 1*. I admit I pretty much got him so I could have the species with the first Cole number, but he turned out to be one of my favorites of the new guys. For Heather S. I think I'll name him The Death Valley Lithops, since the pattern reminds me of the dry stream beds coming down from the mountains surrounding Death Valley.



Large (2.5 cm diameter), flat, and a lovely bold pattern. Sorry the photos aren't better - awful grey weather here highlights my terrible photography skills.



 * Cole number: An identifying number given to different lithops by Desmond and Naureen Cole, who studied the plants extensively beginning in the 1950s. Very useful to know if you are at all interested in knowing the correct names of your 'thops, their location origins etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment